Get Your Utah Residential R-100 Contractors License

Pass your Utah Residential R-100 contractors exam on your first attempt

Utah Residential R-100 Contractors License

get utah contractors licenseResidential/Small Commercial Contractor means a person licensed under this chapter (Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act 58-55-102) as a residential and small commercial contractor qualified by education, training, experience, and knowledge to perform or superintend the construction of single-family residences, multi-family residences up to four units, and commercial construction of not more than three stories above ground and not more than 20,000 square feet, or any of the components of that construction except plumbing, electrical, and mechanical for which the residential and small commercial contractor shall employ the services of a contractor licensed in the particular specialty, except that a residential and small commercial contractor engaged in the construction of single-family and multi-family residences up to four units may perform the mechanical work and hire a licensed plumber or electrician as an employee.


Utah Residential R-100 Contractors License Requirements


let us help you get your contractors licenseA contractors license is required in Utah for any project that exceeds $1,000. To become a licensed contractor candidates will have to sit for two exams, business and law and their trade. In the past 10 years, a minimum of four years of full-time related experience, two years of which shall be in a supervisory or managerial position. General Liability Insurance - The minimum required coverage is $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total. Candidates are required to show financial responsibility More info here.


Utah Residential R-100 Contractors Fees


contractors license feesTo become a licensed contractor in Utah, candidates will have to pass two exams, business and law and the trade. Even if you are obtaining your license through reciprocity, you must also pass a business and law exam and a trade exam. It will cost you $210 nonrefundable to file an application for a primary classification license. The supplemental classification application fee is $100. The business and law exam will cost you $72. Each trade exam costs $72.


Utah Residential R-100 Contractors Exam Details


contractor exam detailed informationTo qualify for the exams for most trades, you must have at least two years of full-time related work experience in any trade you want to get a license for. Open Book, 80 Questions / Three hour time limit, a 70% is required to pass. Business and Law has 60 questions and a time limit of 2 hours. Minimum score of 70% is required to pass. More info here.

Residential R-100 Exam Content


Thermal and Moisture Protection
Doors and Windows
Drywall and Finishes
Plan Reading and Estimating
Blue Stakes
General Building Codes
Sewer and Septic

Total Number of Test Questions: 80

Time Allowed: 180 minutes


Books That Are Allowed Into The Exam


1. International Building Code, 2015, ICC.


2. Utah Amendments to the International Building Code, 2015.


3. International Residential Code, 2015, ICC.


4. Utah Amendments to the International Residential Code, 2015.


NOTE: If you are not currently a licensed contractor then you are required to take and pass BOTH the standard LAW exam and TRADE specific exam.

$199                              $249

order your trade examorder your law and trade exam


Utah Residential R-100 Contractors Exam Study Kit $249


complete home study kit saleOur home study materials are available in either books with CD-ROMs version or online downloadable version. Our CD-ROM software is developed using the computer-assisted testing software, which means that no internet or prior computer experience is required. Both CD-ROM and instant online download versions are identical and cover everything you need to study and pass your contractors exam. The complete home study kit includes: both Business and Law & Residential study manual with over 500 pages of trade, math examples, estimating, formulas, safety, blueprint reading, and other study content. Plus hundreds of exam practice questions with detailed explanations to all Business and Law and Residential exam practice questions. All orders also receive a complete contractors application review, 30-day online exam support, and 24/7 online applicant support.


Utah Contractors License Reciprocity


contractors license reciprocityThe following are the Reciprocal Contractors License Classifications for Utah: Arizona, California, Louisiana, Nevada, and South Carolina. The contractor must be applying for a license in a classification that appears on that state's reciprocal  list. The contractor must have held an active license in good standing in one of the reciprocal states for the previous five years. The contractor must complete the Application for Original Contractor's License. More info here.