Get Your Nevada Residential-Small Commercial Contractors License

Pass your Nevada Residential-Small Commercial contractors exam on your first attempt

Nevada Residential-Small Commercial License

get nevada contractors license This license allows for the construction and remodeling of houses and other structures which support, shelter or enclose persons or animals or other chattels, and which do not extend more than 3 stories above ground and 1 story below ground.


Nevada Residential-Small Commercial License Requirements


let us help you get your contractors licenseTo become a licensed contractor in Nevada, applicants must sit for two exams: Contractor Management Survey and the trade. To qualify a contractor must have the experience and skills necessary to manage the daily activities of a construction business, including field supervision. A contractor must be represented by someone else with the necessary experience and skills, who serves as your qualifying individual. The contractor or other person who will act as the qualifying individual must have had, within the ten years immediately before the filing of the application, at least four full years of experience at a journeyman level, or as a foreman, supervisor, or contractor in the classification for which you are applying. A contractors license is required for all businesses or individuals who construct or alter any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure in Nevada must be licensed by the Nevada State Contractors Board. Contractors, including subcontractors and specialty contractors must be licensed before submitting bids. Licenses may be issued to individuals, general partnerships, limited partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies or joint ventures. More info here.


Nevada Residential-Small Commercial Fees


contractors license feesEach contractors license will cost you $300 nonrefundable fee for the application. It will cost $85 for the one portion CMS exam. A two portion exam will cost $130. A three portion exam will cost $160. It will cost $300 for the license. If you want to be licensed in more than one trade you have to apply and pay for it separately. All applicants must submit current financial statements to the state licensing board. Monetary limits are set based on financial standing. If seeking a financial limit less than $1,000,000 the statement must be compiled, reviewed or audited by a CPA. When seeking a monetary limit of $1,000,000 or more, the financial statement must be reviewed and audited by a CPA. All contractors are required to obtain a bond. The amount of the bond ($1,000 - $500,000) is determined by the board based on license type, monetary limit, past, present, and future financial responsibility, experience and character of the applicant. It is possible to used a cash deposit that is held by the board, with a yearly $100 fee, may be used in place of a bond. All contractors are required to carry worker’s compensation insurance.


Nevada Residential-Small Commercial Exam Details


contractor exam detailed informationThe qualifying individual for a contractors license is required to pass the Management Survey exam and engineering examinations unless he or she meets the requirements for a waiver. The Nevada State Contractors Board has contracted with PSI Licensure (PSI) to administer the exams. In order to pass the examinations, you must achieve a minimum score of 70%. Your score will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination. The CMS exam is on: Nevada State Contractor licensing laws and regulations, state laws, construction project management, business and financial management. It's open book and lasts three hours. The Residential-Small Commercial exam is an open-book, timed test with 80 questions and a 3-hour time limit. More info here.

Residential-Small Commercial Exam Content


Thermal and Moisture Protection
Doors and Windows
Drywall and Finishes
General Code, Plan Reading and Estimating
Nevada One-Call

Total Number of Test Questions: 80

Time Allowed: 180 minutes


Books That Are Allowed Into The Exam


1. International Building Code, 2012, ICC.


2. International Residential Code, 2012, ICC.


3. ACI 318-11 or 14: Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI.


NOTE: If you are not currently a licensed contractor then you are required to take and pass BOTH the standard LAW exam and TRADE specific exam.

$199                              $249

order your trade examorder your law and trade exam


Nevada Residential-Small Commercial Exam Home Study Kit $249


complete home study kit saleOur home study materials are available in either books with CD-ROMs version or online downloadable version. Our CD-ROM software is developed using the computer-assisted testing software, which means that no internet or prior computer experience is required. Both CD-ROM and instant online download versions are identical and cover everything you need to study and pass your contractors exam. The complete home study kit includes: both Management Survey & Residential-Small Commercial study manual with over 500 pages of trade, math examples, estimating, formulas, safety, blueprint reading, and other study content. Plus hundreds of exam practice questions with detailed explanations to all Management Survey and Residential-Small Commercial exam practice questions. All orders also receive a complete contractors application review, 30-day online exam support, and 24/7 online applicant support.


Nevada Contractors License Reciprocity


contractors license reciprocityNevada’s reciprocity agreement with the states of Arizona, California, and Utah pertain to the trade examination only. All other information and application requirements must be completed. In order to consider reciprocity, when submitting an application for a contractor's license in the State of Nevada, the following requirements must be met: The licensee/qualifier must have been actively licensed and in good standing in the participating state for five (5) of the last seven (7) years. The licensee/qualifier must have taken and passed an equivalent trade examination in that state. The licensee/qualifier must show proof, when submitting the application, of licensure in that state by providing the completed out-of-state license verification form included in the application package. The licensee/qualifier will be required to successfully pass the management examination for the State of Nevada. More info here.