Get Your Utah Contractors License

Pass your Utah contractors exam on your first attempt

Utah Contractors License

get utah contractors licenseA license is required in Utah for any project that exceeds $1,000. To become a licensed contractor candidates will have to sit for two exams, business and law and their trade.


Utah Contractors License Requirements


let us help you get your contractors licenseA contractors license is required in Utah for any project that exceeds $1,000. To become a licensed contractor candidates will have to sit for two exams, business and law and their trade. To do construction work in Utah you need a contractors license from the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. Electricians and plumbers have to be licensed. To qualify for any license, you must: provide proof of at least $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 total liability insurance, provide proof of workers' compensation insurance, provide registration with Utah State Tax Commission, provide proof of registration with Utah Department of Employment Security, provide proof of registration with the Internal Revenue Service, provide proof of registration with Utah Division of Corporations, provide proof of DBA registration with Utah Division of Corporations, submit CPA complied, reviewed, or audited financial statement, submit three credit reports for all key company personnel. Some licenses also require you to pay $195 to the Residence Lien Recovery Fund. More info here.


Utah Contractors Fees


contractors license feesTo become a licensed contractor in Utah, candidates will have to pass two exams, business and law and the trade. Even if you are obtaining your license through reciprocity, you must also pass a business and law exam and a trade exam. It will cost you $210 nonrefundable to file an application for a primary classification license. The supplemental classification application fee is $100. The business and law exam will cost you $72. Each trade exam costs $72.


Utah Contractors Exam Details


contractor exam detailed informationTo qualify for the exams for most trades, you must have at least two years of full-time related work experience in any trade you want to get a license for. But for these six trades, you need four years of full-time related work experience: General roofing General masonry, Steel erection, Refrigeration, Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning, Fire suppression systems. If you want to take the exam for any of these trades, you need four years of full-time related work experience with two years as a supervisor or manager: General Engineering, General Building, Residential, Small Commercial Building. Each electrical exam has three written parts. Part I is open book with questions on electrical theory and calculations. Part II is closed book with questions on basic electrical theory, calculations, and general knowledge. Part III is a practical exam with multiple choice questions on using conduits, switching, motors and controls, transformers, troubleshooting, and general knowledge. Each plumbing exam has two parts, a written exam and a practical exam. The written exam has 120 questions and is open-book. You'll have four hours to complete the exam. More info here.


Utah License Exams We Cover


Utah Business and Law Exam


Utah Building B-100 Contractors Exam


Utah Residential Small Commercial R-100 Contractors Exam


Utah Electrical Contractors Exam


Utah HVAC Contractors Exam



Utah Contractors Exam Study Kit $249


complete home study kit saleOur home study materials are available in either books with CD-ROMs version or online downloadable version. Our CD-ROM software is developed using the computer-assisted testing software, which means that no internet or prior computer experience is required. Both CD-ROM and instant online download versions are identical and cover everything you need to study and pass your contractors exam. The complete home study kit includes: both law/business & trade study manual with over 500 pages of trade, math examples, estimating, formulas, safety, blueprint reading, and other study content. Plus hundreds of exam practice questions with detailed explanations to all law/business and general building exam practice questions. All orders also receive a complete contractors application review, 30-day online exam support, and 24/7 online applicant support.


Utah Contractors License Reciprocity


contractors license reciprocityThe following are the Reciprocal Contractors License Classifications for Utah: Arizona, California, Louisiana, Nevada, and South Carolina. The contractor must be applying for a license in a classification that appears on that state's reciprocal  list. The contractor must have held an active license in good standing in one of the reciprocal states for the previous five years. The contractor must complete the Application for Original Contractor's License. More info here.